Ph.D. in Physics, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan 1999
M.S. in Physics, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, Korea 1993
B.S. in Physics, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, Korea 1989
Visiting scientist, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Cornell University (August 2015 – present): Ultrafast continuum pump-probe spectroscopy for probing quantum-dot charge transfer in the mid-IR range and development of infrared focal plane arrays with colloidal quantum dots.
Research associate, Division of Nutritional Science, Cornell University (February 2013 – present): Development of a new epigenetic assay techniques with fluorescent nanoparticles and optical methods.
Chief technology officer, Odyssey Scientific, Inc. (March 2012 – January 2013): development of a commercial optical instrument for the rapid identification of epigenetic marks on individual molecules.
Research associate, School of Applied and Engineering Physics, Cornell University (August 2002 – Feb. 2012)
- Quantum-dot charge transfer and Quantum-dot solar cells/LEDs.
- Near-infrared fluorescent imaging with colloidal quantum dots and image analysis.
- Optical and vibrational properties of Lead salt quantum dots.
Postdoctoral associate, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Texas Tech University (June 2000 – July 2002): Research on intramolecular and intermolecular dynamics of molecules with ultrafast laser spectroscopy
Research associate, Institute of Physics, University of Tsukuba, Japan (April 1999 – April 2000): Coherent control of exciton in semiconductor quantum wells
My interests includes a photophysical processes on nanomaterial and molecules, and their applications to the development of solar cells and optoelectronic devices. Development and characterization of nanomaterials for applications in renewable energy, biological and medical sectors is also an area of interest.
- Zhang, Haitao; Savitzky, Benjamin; Yang, Jun; Newman, Jonathan; Perez, Kaitlyn; Hyun, Byung-Ryool; Kourkoutis, Lena; Hanrath, Tobias; Wise, Frank, “Colloidal Synthesis of PbS and PbS/CdS Nanosheets Using Acetate-Free Precursors”, Chem. Mater., 28, 127–134 (2016)
- Byung-Ryool Hyun, John L. McElwee, and Paul D. Soloway, “Single molecule and single cell epigenomics”, Methods, 72, 41 (2015)
- Byung-Ryool Hyun, Joshua J. Choi, Kyle L. Seyler, Tobias Hanrath, and Frank W. Wise, “Heterojunction PbS nanocrystal solar cells with oxide charge-transporting layers”, ACS Nano 7, 10938 (2013)
- Haitao Zhang, Byung-Ryool Hyun, Frank W. Wise, and Richard Robinson, “A generic method for rational scalable synthesis of monodisperse metal sulfide nanocrystals”, Nano Lett., 12, 5856 (2012)
- Jun Yang, Byung-Ryool Hyun, Anthony J. Basile, and Frank W. Wise, “Exciton relaxation in PbSe Nanorods”, ACS Nano, 6, 8120 (2012)
- Liangfeng Sun, Joshua J. Choi, David Stachnik, Adam C. Bartnik, Byung-Ryool Hyun, George G. Malliaras, Tobias Hanrath, and Frank W. Wise, “Bright infrared quantum-dot light-emitting diodes through inter-dot spacing control”, Nature Nanotechnol., 7, 369 (2012)
- Byung-Ryool Hyun, Adam C. Bartnik, Weon-kyu Koh, N. I. Agladze, J. P. Wrubel, A. J. Sievers, Christopher B. Murrary, and Frank W. Wise, “Far-infrared absorption of PbSe nanorods”, Nano Letters 11, 2786 (2011)
- Byung-Ryool Hyun, A. C. Bartnik, Liangfeng Sun, Joshua J. Choi, Tobias Hanraths, and Frank W. Wise, “ Control of Electron Transfer from Lead-Salt Nanocrystals to TiO2”, Nano Letters 11, 2126(2011)
- Joshua J. Choi, Justin Luria, Byung-Ryool Hyun, A. C. Bartnik, Yee-Fun Lim, John A. Marohm, Frank W. Wise, and Tobias Hanrath, “Photogenerated Exciton Dissociation in Highly Coupled Lead Salt Nanocrystal Assemblies”, Nano Letters 10, 1805 (2010)
- Sun, J. Fang, J. Reed, A. C. Bartnik, Byung-Ryool Hyun, F. W. Wise, E. P. Giannelis, G. G. Malliaras “Lead-salt Quantum-dot Ionic Liquids”, Small, 6, 638 (2010)
- Byung-Ryool Hyun, A. C. Bartnik, Jin-Kyun Lee, Hiroaki Imoto, Liangfeng Sun, Joshua J. Choi, Yoshiki Chujo, Tobias Hanraths, Christopher K. Ober, and Frank W. Wise, “Role of Solvent Dielectric Properties on Charge Transfer from PbS Nanocrystals to Moleculess”, Nano Lett. 10, 318 (2010)
- Joshua J. Choi, Yee-Fun Lim, Mitk’El B. Santiago-Berrios, Matthew Oh, Byung-Ryool Hyun, Liangfeng Sun, Adam C. Bartnik, Augusta Goedhart, George G. Malliaras, Hector D. Abruna, Frank W. Wise, and Tobias Hanrath, “PbSe Nanocrystal Excitonic Solar Cells”, Nano Letters 9, 3749 (2009)
- Liangfeng Sun, Lei Bao, Byung-Ryool Hyun, Adam C. Bartnik, Yu-Wu Zhong, Jason C Reed, Dai-Wen Pang, Hector D. Abruna, George G. Malliaras, and Frank W. Wise, “Electrogenerated Chemiluminescence from PbS Quantum dots”, Nano Letters 8, 789 (2009)
- Byung-Ryool Hyun, Yu-Wu Zhong, Adam C. Bartnik, Liganfeng Sun, Hector D. Abruna, Frank W. Wise, Jason D. Goodreau, James R. Matthews, Thomas M. Leslie, Nicholas F. Borrelli, “Electron Injection from Colloidal PbS Quantum Dots into Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles”, ACS Nano, 2, 2206 (2008)
- Byung-Ryool Hyun, Hongyu Chen, Diego A. Ray, Frank W. Wise, and Carl A. Batt, “Near-infrared fluorescence imaging with water-soluble Pb salt quantum dots”, J. Phys. Chem. B, 111, 5726 (2007)
- Frank W. Wise, Jeff Harbold, Stephen Clark, Byung-Ryool Hyun, “Electron relaxation in lead-salt quantum dots”, Proc. SPIE 5929, 59290S-1 (2005). (invited paper)
- Justin Rajesh Rajian, Byung-Ryool Hyun, and Edward L. Quitevis, “Intermolecular spectrum of liquid Biphenyl studied by optical Kerr effect spectroscopy”, Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 108, 10107 (2004)
- Byung-Ryool Hyunand Edward L. Quitevis, “The intermolecular spectrum of 4-Octyl-4’-cyanobiphenyl in n-Heptane: OHD-RIKES measurements”, Chemical Physics letters, 373, 526 (2003)
- Byung-Ryool Hyunand Edward L. Quitevis, “Low-frequency spectrum of homeotropically-aligned liquid crystals: optical heterodyne- detected Raman-induced Kerr effect spectroscopy of 4-Octyl-4’-cyanobiphenyl”, Chemical Physics letters, 370, 725 (2003)
- Kazuya Takemoto, Byung-Ryool Hyun, Masashi Furuya, Michico Ikezawa, Zialong Zhao, Yasuaki Masumoto, “Universal dephasing mechanism in semiconductor quantum dots embedded in matrix”, Journal of The Physical Society of Japan, 72, 249 (2003)
- Byung-Ryool Hyun, Sergei Dzubya, Richard A. Bartch, Edward L. Quitevis, “Intermolecular dynamics of room-temperature ionic liquids: Femtosecond optical Kerr effect measurements on 1-alkyl-3-methylimidazolium bis((trifluoromethyl)sulfonyl)imides”, Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 106, 7579 (2002)
- Masumoto, M. Ikezawa, Byung-Ryool Hyun, K. Takemoto, and M. Furuya, “Homogeneous width of confined excitions in quantum dots at very low temperatures”, Physica Status Solidi (b) 224, 613 (2001)
- Kazuya Takemoto, Byung-Ryool Hyun, and Yasuaki Masumoto, "Heterodyne-detected accumulated photon echo in CdSe quantum dots", Solid State Communication, 114, 521 (2000)
- Byung-Ryool Hyun, Masashi Furuya, Kazuya Takemoto and Yasuaki Masumoto, "Homogeneous line broadening mechanism of quantum dots", Journal of Luminescence, 87-89, 302 (2000)
- Kazuya Takemoto, Byung-Ryool Hyun, and Yasuaki Masumoto, "Observation of homogeneous optical spectrum in CdSe quantum dots using femtosecond accumulated photon echo", Journal of Luminescence, 87-89, 458 (2000)
- Byung-Ryool Hyun, T. Mishina, Y. Masumoto, and M. Nakayama, "Coherent reflected-pulses of exciton-polaritons in multiple quantum wells at Brewster's angle incidence", Physical Review B 56, R12780 (1997)