My research interests are focused on electronics, optoelectronics, and physical property characterizations based on emerging two-dimensional materials. Dr. Chen has done pioneering research on thin-film black phosphorus transistors, transition-metal dichalcogenides (TMDs) and graphene quantum capacitors. In recent years, he has published 27 pioneer-reviewed research papers on Nature communications, Advanced Materials, ACS Nano, Nano Letters etc., including 15 first-author papers.
Ph.D. degree：2010.09-2014.08 Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Department of Physics
Bachelor Degree：2006.09-2010.08 University of Science and Technology of China, Special Class for Gifted Young
2018.09-now：Assistant Professor at Southern University of Science and Technology, China
2016.08-2018.08：Postdoctoral Researcher at Yale University，USA
2015.04-2016.06：Research Associate at University of Cambridge, UK
2014.09-2015.03：Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Visiting Scholar
Electronics, optoelectronics, and physical property characterizations based on emerging two-dimensional materials, including:
- Mechanical transfer and fabrication of high quality van der Waals heterostructures
- Design and nano-fabrication of two-dimensional electronic and optoelectronic devices
- Transport and quantum capacitance characterizations
- Physical property characterizations of two-dimensional optoelectronic devices.
Awards & Honors
2017, IOP Outstanding Reviewer Award
2014, Post-graduate Research Award, HKUST
2010-2014, Hong Kong PhD Fellowship
- X. Chen, X. Lu, B. Deng, O. Sinai, Y. Shao, C. Li, S. Yuan, V. Tran, K. Watanabe, T. Taniguchi, D. Naveh, L. Yang*, and F. Xia*, “Widely tunable black phosphorus mid-infrared photodetector”, Nature Communications, 8, 1672, 2017.
- X. Chen, Y. Wu, Z. Wu, Y. Han, S. Xu, L. Wang, W. Ye, T. Han, Y. He, Y. Cai, and N. Wang*, “High quality sandwiched black phosphorus heterostructure and its quantum oscillations”, Nature Communications, 6, 7315, 2015.
- X. Chen, Z. Wu, S. Xu, L. Wang, R. Huang, Y. Han, W. Ye, W. Xiong, T. Han, G. Long, Y. Wang, Y. He, Y. Cai, P. Sheng, and N. Wang*, “Probing the electron states and metal-insulator transition mechanisms in atomically thin MoS2 vertical heterostructures”, Nature Communications, 6, 6088, 2015.
- X. Chen, C. Chen, A. Levi, L. Houben, B. Deng, S. Yuan, C. Ma, K. Watanabe, T. Taniguchi, D. Naveh, X. Du*, and F. Xia*, “Large-velocity saturation in thin-film black phosphorus transistors”, ACS Nano, 12, 5003, 2018.
- C. Chen#, X. Chen# (co-first author), Y. Shao, B. Deng, Q. Guo, F. Xia*, “Valley-selective Linear Dichroism in Layered Tin Sulfide”, ACS Photonics, DOI: 10.1021/acsphotonics.8b00850, 2018.
- X. Chen, L. Wang, Y. Wu, H. Gao, Y. Wu, G. Qin, Z. Wu, Y. Han, S. Xu, T. Han, W. Ye, J. Lin, G. Long, Y. He, Y. Cai, W. Ren, and N. Wang*, “Probing the electronics states and impurity effects in black phosphorus vertical heterostructures”, 2D Materials, 3, 015012, 2016.
- X. Chen, L. Wang, W. Li, Y. Wang, Z. Wu, M. Zhang, Y. Han, Y. He, and N. Wang*, “Electron-electron interactions in monolayer graphene quantum capacitors”, Nano Research, 6(7), 619-626, 2013.
- X. Chen, L. Wang, W. Li, Y. Wang, Y. He, Z. Wu, Y. Han, M. Zhang, W. Xiong, and N. Wang*, “Negative compressibility observed in graphene containing resonant impurities”, Applied Physics Letters, 102, 203103, 2013.
- L. Wang#, X. Chen#(co-first author), Y. Wang, Z. Wu, W. Li, Y. Han, M. Zhang, Y. He, C. Zhu, K.K. Fung, and N. Wang*, “Modification of electronic properties of top-gated graphene devices by ultrathin yttrium-oxide dielectric layers”, Nanoscale 5, 1116, 2013.
- Wei Li#, X. Chen#(co-first author), L. Wang, Y. He, Z. Wu, Y. Cai, M. Zhang, Y. Wang, Y. Han, R. Lortz, Z.Q. Zhang, P. Sheng, and N. Wang*, “Density of states and its local fluctuations determined by capacitance of strongly disordered graphene”, Scientific Reports, 3, 1772, 2013.
We have various positions on postdoctoral researcher, research assistant and graduate students. If you are interest, please send your CV to email@example.com Further information can be found on our group webpage: https://xlchen1989.wixsite.com/2dlabhttps://xlchen1989.wixsite.com/2dlab
Office: Taizhou Building 211, Southern University of Science and Technology, Xueyuan Avenue 1088, Nanshan District, Shenzhen City, China
Group webpage: https://xlchen1989.wixsite.com/2dlab